|Released||April 8, 1994|
|Recorded||Track Record in North Hollywood, California|
|Produced by||Thom Wilson|
Smash was the album that brought The Offspring fame, and produced their famous hits "Come Out and Play", "Self Esteem" and "Gotta Get Away". Peaking at number four on the US Billboard 200, the album has sold at least more than 12-16 million copies worldwide, making it the best-selling independent label album of all time. In the United States, Smash has gone platinum six times by the RIAA, and is notable for being the first album released on Epitaph Records to obtain gold and platinum status. Smash has been recognized as an influential and seminal component of the punk rock and pop punk scene in the mid-1990s.
The album received generally positive reviews from critics and garnered attention from major labels, including Columbia Records, with whom The Offspring would sign in 1996, making Smash their final album on Epitaph; however, it was not their last release on that label as they reissued The Offspring on CD for the first time and released their next album Ixnay on the Hombre in some parts of Europe.
- "Time to Relax" (0:25)
- "Nitro (Youth Energy)" (2:27)
- "Bad Habit" (3:43)
- "Gotta Get Away" (3:52)
- "Genocide" (3:33)
- "Something to Believe In" (3:17)
- "Come Out and Play" (3:17)
- "Self Esteem" (4:17)
- "It'll Be a Long Time" (2:43)
- "Killboy Powerhead" (2:02)
- "What Happened to You?" (2:12)
- "So Alone" (1:17)
- "Not the One" (2:54)
- "Smash" (10:42)
- The album's release date (April 8, 1994) was the same day that Kurt Cobain of Nirvana was found dead in his Seattle home.
- The album thanks Pennywise and NOFX, both labelmates of The Offspring at the time, and Kristine Luna, who became Dexter's wife in 1995.
- Music videos for "Come Out and Play", "Self Esteem" and "Gotta Get Away" were made.
- This is the last Offspring album to be produced by Thom Wilson, though it was not the last time the band worked with him (Wilson produced their 1995 single "Smash It Up").
- "Time to Relax" did not appear on the original vinyl and cassette versions. However, it appeared on the 2008 and 2014 vinyl reissues.
- This is the only album where The Offspring were referred to as just "Offspring".
- The art direction was handled by Fred Hidalgo and Kevin Head. Both of these guys also directed the artwork to albums by Bad Religion, NOFX, Pennywise, Claw Hammer, Ten Foot Pole and Voodoo Glow Skulls, who were all labelmates with The Offspring.